Bible Verse of the Day:

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

If you can't meet expectations, change the standard?

I don't know if that is a realistic or even acceptable way of looking at life, but it can be beneficial to my mental well-being, at least in the short term.

I used to think that if a certain number of "to do" items were checked off my list, the house was clean, kids fed and cared for, and meals prepared and cleaned up, it was a successful day. Unfortunately that was prior to my new adventure in homeschooling and the two very busy toddlers at home ALL OF THE TIME.

A look throughout my house on Monday revealed every - I mean every - area in disarray and quite literally, trashed! So instead of jumping to the task of cleaning it, I had a crazy idea to photograph it and blog about it. I see at least 3 positive reasons for doing this:

1. Any of my friends that think my house and life are frequently in order --- you are wrong and here is proof!

2. On a good day or at least a better one than this, I can breathe a sigh of relief that it didn't look this bad.

3. It makes for a fun blog post. (Cheryl, I guess should have saved it for Messy Monday and linked to yours!)


The kitchen after breakfast



The classroom - I mean table. (Yeah, that 's Puppy Chow in the background and I will explain more in next post).


And a large box for puppies in my living room.


So much dust, I could write the word dust.



Tim's room.


Allie calls this making her bed??????
And the laundry. It never goes away. It was heaping out of most of the hampers. I wish it would grow legs and walk to the washing machine itself.
More laundry....
ANd even more....
The kitchen after lunch...
So now success is redefined: Kids fed, school done. Well almost done..... (wink). Anything more than that is truly a bonus!!!!

5 comments:

The Schulers said...

Wow, Zac and Josh make their beds just like Allie! Go figure. I've had to either lower my standards or go insane. You're doing a great job. (and sometimes my kitchen looks like your first picture BEFORE breakfast).

Moms In Need Of Mercy said...

Jodi, this is not messy enough to fit the qualifications for Messy Monday--good try though! (wink) :)

I will take some pictures for you and show you our version of messy. (I don't know if I am that brave though!).

Your kitchen looks like mine on what I would consider a good day!

Thanks for the pictures though. :)

By the way, we have the exact same laundry baskets (the white one and brown one) and they are always about equally as full :)

Anonymous said...

Sunday before we left for church I told Nick,'This house is such a mess! I can't stand it!' He replied,'This house is not a mess! If we picked up for 2 minutes it would be clean. I am tired of you always thinking the house is a mess when it's truly not and you getting upset about a few things out-of-place.' So now I have full permission to not clean all the time and worry about little messes. God used my husband (go figure!) to help me get over my high standards and stressing out about my house. I truly had no idea that Nick didn't like the fact that I was so caught up in always trying to keep the house clean. Luv ya! Lizz

Anonymous said...

That is so good for me to see that! I was starting to wonder what was wrong with me! With only 3 kids, and not homeschooling, when my house does sometimes look like that, I need to be like you and realize that it isn't that important! What is important is the way you are there for the kids and homeschooling them! You can clean your house whenever you'd like, when they all move out! :) Keep up the good work mom! :)

Unknown said...

I just love you.
I should take a pic of my kitchen that I'm sitting in right now -- catching up with your blog!!! I had to scootch aside breakfast from the kitchen table and be careful not to set the computer in oatmeal... Why not sit at the dining room table? Yeah - covered with stuff.
When I was prego with Jack is when my standard down-shifted. I think Dave keeps hoping it will shift back up... it's a year later and no such luck.