Bible Verse of the Day:

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Beef...it's what's for dinner (and lunch and breakfast and snacks)

We experienced a "first" this weekend. We cut up our own half of beef! When my friend Donna called and asked me if we wanted to go in half with them on a beef, I immediately said, "Sure."

The rest of the conversation went something like this. Donna asks, "Which weekend works best to cut it up?"

"Excuse me?", I replied, "Cut what up?!"

Yep -- she was indeed talking about US cutting up the beef. I thought we were a true Wyoming family because we had beef wrapped in white paper. This was a bit too much for me!!

For a short time Phil and I contemplated calling a butcher and asking if Donna and Mel could just drop it off there, but they talked us out of it.

Well, since there's a post here, you can figure out the rest of the story. In fact, I told Donna, "If I am going to do this, then I'm definitely blogging about it."

They hauled a front and hind quarter over to our garage first thing Saturday morning and to work a cuttin' we all went. I can't believe that I am admitting this, but it was kinda fun. I can now say that I know a little bit about the many different cuts of beef AND where they are located. I may never look at those cows on the side of the road in the same way again.

Don't worry - we haven't gone too crazy. I am fairly confident that you won't be seeing Phil in camouflage clothing and an elk hanging out the back of his pickup!!!!

Here are pictures to document our very first experience of beef cutting.



Phil checks everything out very carefully.



Mel explains the different parts of the quarter.



Gettin' our hands dirty...I mean blooooody.


More trimming


Here I am cutting the flank steaks out. Donna didn't know how good this type of steak was so they turned their part into burger meat. So sad!



A freezer full of beef - Burgers anyone?

No comments: