Bible Verse of the Day:

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

WARNING: This post contains graphic images....

An email from some friends led to an exciting Biology lesson for Allie on Monday.

Yep - - Chicken Butchering. Remember, I warned you at the beginning of the post......

Allie was a quick study and not grossed out at all. She helped in every area except, well, the part with the ax and the neck! For starters, one must catch the chicken.


Then Mel does the hard work.



Yes, I am afraid it's true. There is some flailing about even after the head is gone.


Plucking is great fun.


Donna shows her how to get those stubborn feathers.


Ready for the next step.


Umm..this is an interesting step.


And Jackie was the official "gutter" and "cutter".



Allie is braver than me!!!


Bagged up and ready to cook.


You thought I was kidding, didn't you??
Yum, Yum! Delicious. Less than 12 hours from chicken coop to table. It's almost like living in Walnut Grove (Little House on the Prairie...)

As we sat down to eat, Allie prayed for the meal and ended something like this, "Lord, thank you for the hands that gutted this chicken."


I had to buy another one at the store because we are officially a 2-chicken household. (By the way, the Koslowsky chicken was WAY better) As we finished praying, Timothy gave us a good laugh as he proclaimed, "I don't want the REAL one!" Ha Ha.


His definition of "real" was the fact that when he saw Allie's chicken it still had the feet attached...... But he insisted, so he ate the water injected, steroid infused Safeway chicken.

While at Donna's, Timothy and Savannah had some fun also.












Wow--look, carrots come from the ground, not just at Safeway....








3 comments:

The Thorsrud Family said...

oh man. I remember having to butcher chickens when I was younger. The smell. Ick. I had to clean out the guts. Yup. That was my job. I will never forget them flailing around either after the head was ka boshed. ick ick. There are advantages! I here the injected steriod comment! Hey, why did Mel have a torch? I didnt get that part. I dont remember a torch being involved.....Looks like a fun day!

Christy said...

We did this when I was a kid once too. Once. After one season of chickens I think my mom may have drawn the line and that was that when it came to raising our own chickens.

Very cool homeschool lesson!!

Unknown said...

WOW Allie --- I am waaaayyy impressed!
I've always said if I had to kill my own meat to eat, I'd be a vegetarian...
Good work Girl!!!!