Bible Verse of the Day:

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A new education adventure for Allie

Also on August 17 (which happened to be Allie's birthday), we began a new adventure in education with Allie. She is going to be home schooled and is very excited for this opportunity. I am still a bit glassy-eyed about the whole thing, but am also excited and FULLY depending on God's strength, grace and perspective as we move forward!!

Since I had to spend some time at FCA with Sarah and Lindsayon their first day, and because it WAS Allie's birthday, we started with lunch as Red Lobster and did an overview of what our typical days would look like.

Allie had a great first week and even though I was physically and mentally exhausted by Sunday, I thought it went very well also. She is really liking her science book and experiments.
Here is her first experiment about the concept of atoms. Most of the ingredients are common household items which make it nice on the budget.
What do you get when you add oil, water and syrup? What about when you add a cork, ice cube, rock and grape? ANSWER - very definite layers based on density.
Allie has been so diligent in illustrating and writing out the experiment process in her science lab book. She just finished her 3rd experiment a few hours ago and can't wait for the next one!
So what is my biggest challenge with this new adventure? Quite simply -- Timothy and Savannah. They are 2 very busy toddlers and want to be involved with everything. We have found some creative ways to entertain them while I am going over new concepts with Allie. Timothy especially enjoys "school" with his math manipulatives!!

I am sure more exciting home school posts will be coming soon!

1 comment:

Moms In Need Of Mercy said...

Great job, Jodi! I am proud of you! I'll have to get more info from you about what you're using and where you found it to keep the little guys busy! Hope to see you Sunday! Cheryl (PS I finally got around to starting a blog...so that's why my name will post up that way) :)