Bible Verse of the Day:

Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Farewell Gift ~ after 95 years!

My Grandpa Helbert gave us a special gift, especially to my children, shortly before he died. That gift? The assurance that came from my mom that he was trusting in Christ, his Savior, for eternal life.



This was HUGE because for the last several years of his 95-year long life, my older three girls have been consistently praying for his salvation. They would even fill out their own prayer request sheets and give them to our pastor. For several years we thought he was just days from death, but the prayer was that he wouldn't die before trusting Christ.



Just a couple weeks before he passed on May 31, 2010 (Memorial Day) my mom had some good conversations with him. In fact, she felt assured that he had truly trusted in Christ. She told me that she was praying that if his place was secure in heaven that God would take him quickly. It does indeed appear that God answered that request.




After much thought and prayer between Phil and I, we decided that it was best if I fly out to Ohio for his funeral. My sister and her family drove from Maryland, and we all arrived in Ohio on Thursday, June 3.




Shauna, Grandma Ruth Helbert, my mom (Susan) and I at the funeral home the evening of the visitation. Shauna's kids were not as still for photo opportunities....


Carson, Jason and Madison (Number 4 on HIS way in January)


I got to meet my newest cousin Bryn (technically first cousin once removed...)
The funeral service was on Friday and my Grandma did a wonderful job.

The service at the cemetery was very moving as my Grandfather was honored as a United States of America Veteran for his service in World War II.

My Grandpa had been married prior to my Grandmother and had a daughter, Sandy, whom I had never met. In the recent years, she and my mom had begun correspondence and had recently visited him prior to his death. It was very neat to spend time with both her and her daughter Luann. I still chuckle when I think about the bird acupuncture story.....



I had to fly home on Saturday but was so thankful to be able to make the short trip back to Ohio to say goodbye on this earth to Grandpa Helbert, but "see ya soon" in the heaven!

No comments: